Thursday, March 27, 2008

Bollywood Versus Hollywood

Yeah, I see your giggling face with a right blend of sarcasm and humor in that smile, after seeing this title. By and large, though I never approve of any comparison as I believe when you compare something you are insulting its uniqueness, at few occasions comparisons are handy at setting benchmarks. Here, I use word “versus” to render how differently these two worlds function as well as how they can learn from each other.

Bollywood as we all know had always found its opulence in emotions. From art of RK to sensitive intellection of Ray. From ahead-of-times valor of Shantaram to romantic world of Ghai. From glamorous tadka of Johars and Yashraj to poetic world of Bhansali. Everywhere you’ll see emotions being practiced over and again. Revenge, humor, patriotism, courage, sacrifice and yes, how can one forget that? Love! You’ll see some of all of these used sparingly everywhere.

India had long been bestowed with many gifted actors. RK, Devanand, Dharamendra, Rajesh, Rishi, Bacchan, Dilip and a few new-fangled like Aamir, Akshay, Kamal all portray a mammoth talent that had never let their takers starve of towering performances. I mean I loved the way Dharm Paaji and Amitabh made us laugh through practical jokes in Chupke Chupke. While the same duo defined a new era of thrillers through Sholay which was later blatantly disparaged by RGV’s AAG as people said it was a sequel of the former. Then came the crazy uncertainty of Amol Palekar in Golmal and the pragmatic Rajesh in the Bawarchi who philosophized the life though his simplistic existence. The women like Hema, Rekha, Dimple were no less in having their own portfolio of acting skills as well as splendor steal breath of the audience. And when I adjust the lens of my telescope to make it a binocular for time, I see the burning Aamir of Sarfarosh, Lagan, RDB, Taare. The conviction with which this guy goes in any role is just stupendous. I heard for Ghajini, he has shaved his head. The bottom-line is not to act like a character. But to feel being it, breathe like it, live like it in front of camera. Ahshay had been good as a flamboyant khiladi earlier. But later on, films like Namaste London are making him more convincing. Ajay Devgan and Akshaye Khanna are also the able inclusions for our list. I mean Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam, Vijaypath, Company, Zakhm… Really the remarkable films, having the talented Ajay glowing. While DCH and recent Aaja Nachle had me believe strongly that in Akshaye, we have the most underrated actor in the film fraternity. Few omissions for the sake of space to be pardoned. But as expiation for all those die hard SRK fans, whom I excluded knowingly, I’m ready to have him in the list too just if they take pains to read the writ through to the end! I think save Swades and Chakde, SRK had always been SRK in all his movies, with merely his name changed to that of character. He hardly had been a character he needed to be. Darsheel Safary, the hugely talented cutie from Taare.., though it’s too early to judge him on one film, I believe has everything in him to join the list. It was shocking and hard to believe when I saw the naughty, confident and sharp Darsheel in his interviews as against patient hardworking and poised Ishan in Taare. God, this kid has guts and he knows it. But thanks to the award ceremonies, he has to wait for a while to get the recognition he is due.

When it comes to films, Andaz Apna Apna, Swades, Lagaan, Chak Dey and the recent Taare Zameen Par are my favorite, with Taare being the most riveting film I’d ever seen.

The list and the explanations can go on and on. But if one goes deeper in analyzing things, many frail links can be surfaced. While the music has been one of the most integral and beautiful facet of Hindi Cinema, the overuse of the same has really been annoying to the serious and intellectual viewer. Those love songs, for instance, contributing nothing to the plot, gave a breakthrough to all those trees and foreign locales hanging in the background when our hero and heroine wandered singing and dancing. I heard of story of an NRI who saw a typical Hindi movie for the first time. He wondered after seeing the movie that the last moment the couple was in their house somehow trying to make the both ends touch, if not meet (I mean they were very poor. Explanation is necessary seeing at the supposed absurdity suggested by the phrase used!) , and suddenly they are at different picturesque places with their clothes changing every half minute and the music pouring in from the sky helping them sing and dance at a smooth pace. I mean it was difficult for that rational and intellectual poor fellow to digest the fact that to enjoy a Hindi cinema, you’ve to assume, forget and forgive lot many things unlike Hollywood flicks where each scene and move has a very carefully crafted strategy and reasons. Said all, the elixir of the melody made available to a common man by veterans like RD Burman and A R Rehman had always made the lives and moments of billions more enlightened and happy. The harvest of the good Indian music is really like a national treasure for us. Believe it or not, only as a tribute to all those music architects, I decided to buy my brand new N70 Music Edition, though the price had been taxing. Eventually I possess it by my side every time and everywhere so that after a hectic time, I always have asylum in the harmony of the music that helps me connect to my inner self and nature. Ultimately, if you can connect to these two, He is not far away.

Variety is there. But you have to search for it. Really, it’s very hard to find a “different” film these days. The film with vulgar and aphrodisiac contents replaced by a sound script and riveting story and an unfeigned character going at his own pace. Now here Hollywood comes handy. I happened to saw few small-scale movies like Election, Crossroads, Bring it on… where the stories were really simple but the characters really honest. They all had their own realistic fights in life. They had to step ahead in the face of uncertainty being vulnerable. Few of them were larger-than-lifely brave for their mammoth tasks. Few were not as brave. But they understood that the bravest thing you do when you don’t “feel” brave is to profess courage and act accordingly. It was really touching to see even school kids shown confronting their own problems and making their own decisions, having support of their pure friendship.

Few of the films that I really liked reckon Click, The Independence Day, In pursuit of happiness, Jurrasic Park, The Abyss, Forest Gump, Troy and yes, all movies starring Elisha Cuthbert! Why? You know, one has to make exceptions for special people no? So I say all her movies are unconditionally beautiful. Jokes apart, to tell you the truth, I’m not a very regular viewer of the English movies. So few of the finest movies in Hollywood would have escaped me. But being a descent observer that I believe I am, I can share my thoughts on account of whatever I could absorb. Actually I started viewing English movies seriously at the twilight of my college days. Much of the blame can be of the reputation the English movies have created in the minds of people in India. I mean, a child spotted seeing movies on English channel is supposed to be looking for “something” that was not “ethical” according to parents. I hope you understood the meanings of these two highlighted words. And often, this “something” was really embarrassing while enjoying movie with family or even when you are enjoying the good plot and suddenly “it” starts and your dad props up from somewhere. I also was having no different prejudice until I started seeing some really quality stuff in Hollywood. But now I hunt for it. Seriously.

English movies are all giant. In terms of their budget, concept and portrayal. You just look at Titanic and wonder how they would have managed all that disaster that looked so obvious. You see Matrix Trilogy and exclaim “Wow” at the whole concept. The hugeness of Lord of the Rings literally blinded us. And the best part of it is that it looked all real. The power of silence was explained by The Abyss of John Cameron. I shivered when I saw the actor going down, down in the dark abyss of an ocean. And then, rested on back with the support of rock, he sees the alien. He shakes hand with him and then travels to the kingdom of aliens. Gosh! What a dizzying feeling it was! It was shown with such intensity that I had to switch the channel. Any receptive viewer will never forget it. Michael Clayton appealed me after I saw the originality in the character portrayed by George Clooney. I never had seen Brad Pitt in action. But his Achilles in Troy left me astounded with his conviction and ease with which he was under the skin of the warrior.

In all, the Hollywood presents the stuff that can be savored after deep and sincere involvement. Whilst, relatively, Bollywood movies had been easy and slow and often superficial. Well the reason is not that we don’t have people who can do more intense and serious stuff. But the fact that there are very few who’ll really appreciate and accept such different project. So they’re obviously skewed to produce what sells. Complicated but good movies like 16 December, Chocolate and Khoya Khoya Chand can rarely find any audience. Because people don’t understand, rather don’t wish to understand the stuff. After a hectic week and at a price of Rs. 180 a ticket in multiplex, people prefer to invest their time with family in some masala movie which can cater to all members as moderate comprehension is required. Even at times, I’d like to see some gorgeous actress performing at her best instead of the tense horrifying action of Hollywood that leaves you out of breath. It’s natural.

If you take a dig at the psychology of west and India, one cultural difference stands out. I’ve observed that western people find pleasure in adrenalin out rush like in loud music concerts, partying or adventures. Whilst Indians have long since found Shastria Sangeet, Bhajans, cultural festivals and social gatherings as stress busters. They prefer being calm and peaceful and getting excited for them is like loosing balance. This might be the reason that most of the characters in our movies are more human. I’ve always found a liveliness and freshness in our actors commendable as against the expressionless inhuman and complicated Hollyhood heroes.

Whatever it may be, lemme tell you, after seeing two intense Hollywood films in a row in a day, I can not digest third. I get fed up. But then instead of saying they are bad, I’ll say I’m not an audience for such movies.

No comments: